Friday, April 27, 2012

New approach... 4/18

Today when I got to the PLC, the class was doing "Conflict Management" with a counselor. The class was trying to identify the ways they react in situations and learned some strategies to confront people that they have problems with in a positive and effective way. The class got to act out some scenarios with partners. The counselor encouraged them to act as though it was a real life situation, and encouraged them to curse if necessary and to be as realistic as possible. I thought it was interesting that she let them act in negative ways, and did not get them in trouble. She was trying to have them act it out, recognize that some of their actions were unnecessary, and gave them alternative ways to act. I thought the class did a good job, and most students participated. Sadly, at the end when the counselor asked them to fill out a sheet with 3 simple questions reflecting on the activity, Tangela said, "no that's stupid and I'm not doin' it!" She then shoved the paper back towards the counselor (sadly, I do not know this woman's name). It was just a little rude, because the assignment was short and the counselor was very nicely trying to convince her to do it, but instead Tangela just walked back to her seat. I walked over and she told me that she didn't want to do her "stupid econ" today. I asked her why not and she said because she was about to have to listen to an entire "boring lesson". So I told her that if she listened to the lesson (which is only about 10 mins in length) that I would listen to it after her and help her to paraphrase and make some notes. She seemed very excited and we began working. The rest of our day was pretty uneventful. We finished the notes and a short quiz after too!

No comments:

Post a Comment